Thursday, September 6, 2012

Third Time's a Charm

As many of you know Nick and I are in our third house in Australia.  While it has been lovely seeing a variety of Gladstone real estate,  I would like to be done moving...forever.  The good news is that we love our new place!  I am hoping that we will be able to live here the remainder of our stay in Australia because another move might just cause me to loose my sanity.




Last weekend Nick and I drove about an hour north to Rockhampton to do some shopping.  Nick told me he wanted to buy a new pair of tennis shoes so I thought we should make an exciting trip out of this errand.  Nick rarely admits he needs anything so it always very exciting to me when he wants to go shopping (I think he still owns a pair of shoes from 7th grade).  While in the shoe store after bending over to feel for Nick's toe in a pair of shoes he was trying on I said, "Do a lap around the store to make sure that they are comfortable".  He responded with, "Kate, you're embarrassing me".  It is just so exciting to get Nick out shopping!   

After running our errands we drove downtown and were impressed by many of the buildings.  Many had a European feel to them.




On Wednesday evening I walked outside to take out our garbage and saw this huge fire blazing just up the street from our house.  Apparently we have been without rain for over a month and the city is becoming concerned about the possibility of bush fires.  Much to my relief this fire was started by fireman to prevent bush fires.  Fighting fire with fire.   
So we love our new place, the only negative for me has been my new bike path to work.  There are several magpie nest along a stretch I have renamed the "zone of terror" and I have been swooped about every other day since moving to this home.  I now look like a crazy person walking/riding to work because not only am I wearing sunglasses and a helmet, but now I carry an umbrella.  Can't wait for magpie breeding season to be over!  Serenity now!    

5 comments:

  1. I want a picture of the new shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your newest new home is very Katieesque! Very homey:) Rockhampton reminds me of the Bahamas, very British! Are Nick's new kicks an Australian or American brand? I am having difficulty visualizing your shopping experience in Rockhampton (no context) except for the embarrassing part:):) Did you find an Applebees type restaurant in the big city? I hope so! You could possibly sing Mary Poppins songs while carrying your umbrella to work to charm the magpies. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, he still has his Doc Martens (sp?) from Jr. High -- I'm SO excited you got him to buy a new pair of shoes. Hmmmm...he probably won't replace them 'til 2016 at the earliest. :) I love the Rockhampton buildings. My favorite is the Heritage Hotel - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual you wowed us again! Wonderful. Congratulations Nick on the new shoes.
    I'm familiar with someone who doesn't like to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evidently the aversion to shopping gene is somehow connected to the Y chromosome.
    Still laughing. You know, Jim used to work in a running store. And he made the customers go outside and run. True. That was the only way to experience the shoe.

    The new apartment looks great. It's fun to see your decorations in different settings. They are so adaptable!

    No good for nothin magpies. Leave Katie aloooooooone!!

    ReplyDelete