Monday, August 6, 2012

Lake Awoonga

This past Sunday Nick and I went to check out Lake Awoonga located about 10 miles south west of Gladstone.   It was a beautiful place but I would say that most of the excitement was brought by the wildlife.  We spotted a kangaroo that hopped across the road about 50ft in front of our car and it happened so quickly that I didn't have time to snap a picture.  I think the brief sighting completely satisfied Nick's need to see a kangaroo; if you have seen one, you have seen them all.  I on the other hand can't get enough!  I don't know if I will ever get used to seeing roos hopping around!  I am still in shock from my close encounter at school.

We were also able to get up close a personal with a kookaburra.  The bird was perched on a railing overlooking the lake and no matter how close you got, the kookaburra wouldn't move!  Nick must have been channeling his inner Ace Ventura because I felt a real bond between the two...just take a look:











4 comments:

  1. Love the first picture of Nick and the kookaburra! That is great! The terrain looks like you went from an island to a forest in 10 quick miles. That bird is SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna and I just cracked up at the kookaburra pics! Too funny. I think he would have gone home with you! Wonder if they're all that tame? So glad you were able to get a picture of the kookaburra beside Nick to show perspective. When Nick said they were about the size of a small chicken, I still couldn't picture it in my mind. Another fun day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have an earworm. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too:)......merry, merry king of the bushes he (Camp Sherwood somewhere around 1961)

      Delete