Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Australian Flo


Australian Flo, Kitty
American Flo
It has been a rainy few days here in Gladstone so I thought I might blog about Australian television.  Nick and I have watched quite a bit this past weekend as the rain came down and we made a few observations.  First, we noticed that Australian Progressive commercials have their own Flo, and her name isn't even Flo, it's Kitty.  She sports the same red lipstick, retro hairdo and is just as cute and charming as the American Flo, maybe more so with her Australian accent!  It made us wonder if there are more Flo's out there.  I like thinking about all the Flo's of the world meeting in one room.  "American Flo, meet Australian Kitty.  Italian Florina, meet Chinese Fo."  Anyway, it made Nick and I smile to see Kitty and we hope more commercial doppelgangers will appear during our time here.

Also, Nick and I discovered Australian netball in Nick's desperate search to find sports on television.  I think he may be experiencing withdrawal without his ability to watch baseball or the Big10 Network.  So, netball it is!  I hate to criticize a sport I know very little about and would hate to offend anyone, but netball to me appears to be an extremely watered down version of basketball.  During general play, a player with the ball can take no more than one step before passing it, and must pass the ball or shoot for goal within three seconds. Goals can only be scored by the assigned shooting players.  Players may not make contact with each other and must stay at an arms length distance while the other player shoots.  Players may not jump while shooting.  I just don't think netball necessary quenched Nick's sports craving.  Looks like rugby and Australian Rules football will have to suffice.

There are many American television shows that air here but I have also found a few Australian shows that I really enjoy.  The show I am currently watching is called, "The Block".  It is about four couples that completely renovate four different Victorian homes in Melbourne on the same block.  Each week they renovate a new room until the house is complete.  Then they sell their homes and whomever sells their home for the most money wins!  They are all young, trendy couples so it is fun to see their designs each week and it is interesting to hear casual conversations amongst Aussies.  I constantly pick up new words and slang from their conversations.

Hopefully the rain will subside in the next few days so we can have the weekend to get out and do some more exploring!

2 comments:

  1. Nick, I used to be able to text you play-by-plays of Purdue football games, basketball games, etc...don't think that's going to work this time!! So sorry for the sports withdrawl!

    ReplyDelete