Wednesday, June 13, 2012

You Say Gladstone, I Say Gladstun


Our new home
We made it to our new home!  After 20 hours of air travel we finally touched down in Gladstone.  Nick and I quickly discovered that the Aussies pronounce Gladstone as Gladstun.  So upon arriving we quickly changed our pronunciation so we can be accepted as true Glastonians.

Nick’s coworker dropped us off at our house and we had the rest of the day to get settled.  Our house is nice – it’s a duplex with three bedrooms so we have plenty of room for visitors…nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  It came furnished, although it looks a little bare right now.  I am excited for the air freight to arrive so we can fill the house with all of our things making it feel more “homey”.  There is a grocery store and gym within walking distance and a shopping center a couple miles away.

To my great despair we discovered that most cars in Gladstone are manual transmission.  So not only do I have to drive on the other side of the street, but now I have to drive a stick (Gladstone drivers beware)!  Nick has given me a few lessons now and I am starting to feel more comfortable.  I have been practicing on a large hill in our neighborhood and have killed the engine numerous times.  This practicing has occurred early in the morning to avoid any other cars on the road, so I am sure our neighbors appreciate waking up to my 5:00am “peel out’s”.  Nick and I also invested in some new bikes, so if the driving thing doesn’t work out I will always know how to pedal!

Nick and I both said that Gladstone feels like a Caribbean island. It is really hilly with a lot of tropical looking foliage.  Our neighborhood is pretty with most of the homes new, but many of the buildings in Gladstone are older and look outdated.  I guess it is part of the charm and another reason Gladstone reminds us of a Caribbean island.  We have not had much time to explore yet, so I am sure there is still much to discover of Gladstone.
Our new neighborhood
Our new grocery store
Our new car
My new bike
Downtown Gladstone
Gladstone Marina
View of Gladstone
Gladstone has a small beach, but after seeing the sign I'm not sure I will want to get in the water.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can picture it now!!! I love your new wheels (both the two wheeled and four wheeled ones)! It looks like a beautiful little town. Dad and I will be on the next plane to Australia:):) We love you and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It looks so beautiful! You must be so excited!! Put up pictures of your house and yard!!! (before and after). I am so happy that you finally got your internet connection!!! Love, AP

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what is the giant squid like creature on the sign by the beach in Gladstone? I hope you don't run into him while snorkeling:) You could wear your fascinator to scare it off!

    ReplyDelete